Dec. 31, 2016
Present Position: Professor
Department of Anthropology
University of Denver
2000 E. Asbury, Suite 132
Denver, CO 80208
B.S. Geology (1973) Oregon State University.
M.S. Geology (1975) Arizona State University. Thesis: Depositional Environments of Supai Formation, Central Arizona.
M.A. Anthropology (1993) University of Colorado, Boulder.
PhD. Anthropology (1995) University of Colorado, Boulder. Dissertation: The Use of Ground-penetrating Radar to Map the Topography and Structures at the Ceren Site, El Salvador.
- 2016: Ground-penetrating Radar for Geoarchaeology, Wiley-Blackwell Publishers, London.
- 2013: Ground-penetrating Radar for Archaeology, Third Edition. Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, Alta Mira Press, Latham, Maryland
- 2012: Interpreting Ground-penetrating Radar for Archaeology. Left Coast Press, Walnut Creek, California.
- 2007: (with Dean Goodman) Ground-penetrating Radar: Un’introduzione per gli archeologi. Aracne editrice, Roma.
- 2004: Ground-penetrating Radar for Archaeology. Altamira Press, Walnut Creek, California.
- 1997: (with Dean Goodman) Ground-penetrating Radar: An Introduction for Archaeologists. Altamira Press, Walnut Creek, California. .
REFERRED JOURNAL ARTICLES:
- 2016: Ground-penetrating radar mapping using multiple processing and interpretation methods. Remote Sensing, v. 8, doi: 10.3990 (accepted for publication)
- 2015 Ground-penetrating radar data analysis for more complete archaeological interpretations. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Archaeological Prospection 15–19 September 2015, Warsaw, Poland. The Institute of Archaeology and Ethnology, Polish Academy of Sciences, the Polish Center of Mediterranean Archaeology, University of Warsaw, the Copernicus Science Centre, pp. 202-205
- 2015 Analysis and interpretation of GPR datasets for integrated archaeological mapping: Multiple GPR datasets for integrated archaeological mapping. Journal of Near-surface Geophysics, vol. 31, no 1., pp. 2241-2262
- 2013: Ground-penetrating radar studies at the Hammer Test Bed Facility, Richland, Washington, Journal of Northwest Anthropology, 47(2):153–166 2013
- 2013: Understanding Cultural History Using Ground-Penetrating Radar Mapping of Unmarked Graves in the Mapoon Mission Cemetery, Western Cape York, Queensland, Australia (with Mary-Jean Sutton) International Journal of Historical Archaeology v. 242, pp. 24-48.
- 2013 (with J. Michael Daniels, Jonathan A. Haws and Michael M. Benedetti): An Upper Palaeolithic Landscape Analysis of Coastal Portugal Using Ground-penetrating Radar. Archaeological Prospection, v. 20, pp. 45-51.
- 2012: Advances in ground-penetrating radar exploration in southern Arizona. Journal of Arizona Archaeology, Vol. 22, pp. 80-91.
- 2011: Discovery, mapping and interpretation of buried cultural resources non-invasively with ground-penetrating radar. Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, V. 8, pp. S13-22.
- 2010: (with Juerg Leckebusch) Geophysical archaeology research agendas for the future: Some ground-penetrating radar examples. Archaeological Prospection, V. 17, pp. 117-123.
- 2010: Ground-penetrating radar for anthropological research. Antiquity, v. 84, n. 323, pp 175-184.
- 2009: (with Shelley Wachsmann, Richard K. Dunn, John R. Hale, Robert L. Hohlfelder, Lawrence B. Conyers, Eileen G. Ernenwein, Payson Sheets, Maria Luisa Pienheiro Blot, Filipe Castro and Dan Davis). The palaeo-environmental contexts of three possible Phoenician anchorages in Portugal. The International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, DOI: 10.1111/j.1095-9270.2009.00224.x
- 2009: Ground-penetration radar mapping. Within Nadel, Dani et al: The Late Natufian of Raqefet Cave: The 2006 Season. Journal of the Israel Prehistoric Society, v. 38, pp. 78-86.
- 2008: (with Eileen Ernenwein, Kelsey Lowe and Michael Grealy). Electromagnetic Conductivity Mapping for Site Prediction in Meandering River Floodplains. Archaeological Prospection, v. 14, n. 5, pp. 24-35.
- 2007: (with Sam Connell). The applicability of using ground-penetrating radar to discover and map buried archaeological sites in Hawaii. Hawaiian Archaeology, v. 11, pp. 62-77.
- 2007: (with Alton E. Kinlaw and Will Zajac). Use of ground-penetrating radar to image burrows of the Gopher Tortoise. Herpetological Review, v. 38, n. 1, pp. 50-56.
- 2006: Innovative ground-penetrating radar methods for archaeological mapping Archaeological Prospection, v. 13, n. 2, pp. 139-141.
- 2006: Ground-penetrating radar techniques to discover and map historic graves, Historical Archaeology, v 40, n. 3, pp. 64-73.
- 2002: (with Eileen G. Ernenwein and Leigh-Ann Bedal). Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) Mapping as a Method for Planning Excavation Strategies, Petra, Jordan. E-tiquity Number 1. ISSN 1541-5465.
- 2002: Ground-penetrating radar discovery at Petra, Jordan. Antiquity, v. 76, pp. 339-340.
- 2000: Subsurface mapping of a buried Paleoindian living surface, Lime Creek Site, Nebraska, USA. Geoarchaeology, v. 15, 8 pp.799-817.
- 1998: (with Catherine Cameron) Finding Buried Archaeological Features in the American Southwest: New Ground-penetrating radar techniques and three-dimensional computer mapping: Journal of Field Archaeology, v. 25, n. 4.
- 1996: Archaeological evidence for dating the Loma Caldera Eruption, Ceren, El Salvador. Geoarchaeology, v. 11, n. 5, pp. 245-263.
- 1996: (with Jeffrey Lucius): Velocity analysis in archaeological ground-penetrating radar studies. Archaeological Prospection, v. 3, pp. 312-333.
- 1995: The use of ground-penetrating radar to map the buried structures and landscape of the Ceren Site, El Salvador. Geoarchaeology, v. 10, no. 4, pp. 275-299.
NON-REFERRED JOURNAL ARTICLES AND CONFERENCE PROCESSINGS:
- 2011: Advances in the Use of Ground-Penetrating Radar at Archaeological Sites in Southern Arizona. Bulletin of Old Pueblo Archaeology Center, No. 66, June 2011, pp 1-6.
- 2011: Ground-penetrating Radar Exploration and Mapping in the American Southwest. Archaeology. Archaeology Southwest, Summer 2011. Center for Desert Archaeology, Tucson, Arizona, pp 1-3.
- 2011: Ground-penetrating Radar Mapping of Non-reflective Archaeological Features. In Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Archaeological Prospection, Sept. 19-24, Izmir, Turkey. Edited by Mahmut Drahor and Meric Berge. Archaeology and Art Publications, Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 177-179.
- 2008: Ground-penetrating radar for archaeological mapping. Fast Times: News for the Near-surface Geophysical Sciences, 13, pp. 29-35.
- 2007: Ground-penetrating radar for urban archaeological mapping. SAGEEP 2007 Conference proceedings, Denver Colorado, pp. 1-74-1081
- 2006: GPR Mapping to Test Anthropological Hypotheses: A Study from Comb Wash , Utah , American Southwest. In Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Ground-penetrating Radar, Columbus Ohio , June 19-21, 2006 , Edited by Jeffrey J. Daniel, pp. 1-8.
- 2004: Moisture and soil differences as related to the spatial accuracy of amplitude maps at two archaeological tests sites. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Ground-penetrating Radar, Delft, The Netherlands pp 435-438
- 1999: (with Dean Goodman) Archaeology looks to new depths: Ground-penetrating radar technology allows subsurface imaging of buried archaeological sites. Discovering Archaeology, v. 1, n. 1, pp. 70-77.
- 1999: Geophysics, Ground-penetrating Radar and Archaeology. Society for American Archaeology Bulletin, v. 17, n. 4, pp. 26-29.
- 1998: Acquisition, processing and interpretation techniques for ground-penetrating radar mapping of buried pit-structures in the American Southwest. In Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Ground-penetrating Radar. Radar Systems and Remote Sensing Laboratory, University of Kansas, pp. 53-59.
- 1996: The use of ground-penetrating radar to map the archaeology and paleo-geography of the Ceren Site, El Salvador. In Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Ground-penetrating Radar. 89-94. Tohoku University Faculty of Engineering, Sendai, Japan.
- 1996: Clues from a village: dating a volcanic eruption. Geotimes 41, n. 11, pp. 20-23.
- 2012: Subsurface testing: ground-penetrating radar. In Oxford Companion to Archaeology, Ed. By Neil Asher Silberman, Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, pp. 256-258
- 2012: Ground-penetrating Radar Exploration and Mapping Techniques for Garden Archaeology. In Sourcebook for Garden Archaeology. Edited by Aicha Malek and Cecile Thiebault, Peter Lang, Berne, Switzerland, pp. 200-236.
- 2010 (in Italian): Ground-penetrating Radar (GPR) per l’archeologia. In Profundita Senza Scavare: Methodologie di Indagine Non Invasiva e Diagnostica per Archeologia. Edited by Enrico Giorgi. Bradypus s.a., Bologna, Italy, pp. 359-371
- 2009: Ground-penetrating radar for landscape archaeology. In Seeing the Unseen-Geophysics and Landscape Archaeology. Edited by Stefano Campana and Salvatore Piro. CRC Press/Balkema: Taylor and Francis Group, London., pp 245-256.
- 2006: Ground-penetrating Radar. In Remote Sensing in Archaeology: A North American Perspective. Edited by Jay K. Johnson, The University of Alabama Press, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, pp. 131-160.
- 2006: Ground-penetrating radar tests in Hippos. In Hippos-Sussita. Edited by Arthur Segal, Zinman Institute of Archaeology, University of Haifa Press, Haifa, Israel., pp. 99-107.
- 2006: Ground-penetrating Radar for Archaeological Mapping. In Remote Sensing for Archaeology. Edited by James Wisemen, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, N.Y., pp. 329-344.
- 2004(with Henry D. Wallace) Ground-penetrating radar techniques and three-dimensional computer mapping at the Valencia Site. In Archaeological Excavations at Valencia Vieja. Technical Report No. 2001-11. Desert Archaeology, Tucson, Arizona. Pp 135-143.
- 2002: (with Hartmut Spetzler) Geophysical Exploration at Ceren. In Before the Volcano Erupted. Ed. Payson Sheets. University of Texas Press, Austin. pp 24-32.
- 2001: Ground-penetrating radar. In Encyclopedia of Imaging Science and Technology. Joseph P. Hornak. John Wiley and Sons, New York. Pp 463-476
- 2000: The use of ground-penetrating radar in archaeology. In Radiation in Art and Archaeology. Eds, D.C. Creagh and D.A. Braadley, pp 1-14. Elsevier Science B.V., Amsterdam.